Instituição onde foi realizado o trabalho
- Principal: Fundação Altino Ventura (FAV)
- KARINA CARVALHO MELO DE ARA�JO (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
- CAMILA VIEIRA VENTURA (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
- LAURA P RABELLO (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
- ADRIANA L GOIS (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
- VASCO BRAVO FILHO (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
- JULIANA SALLUM (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
- BRUNA V VENTURA (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
- MILENA CAVALCANTI (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
- LIANA O VENTURA (Interesse Comercial: NÃO)
OPHTHALMOLOGICAL SPECTRUM FEATURES OF CHILDREN WITH CONGENITAL ZIKA VIRUS SYNDROME IN RECIFE, BRAZIL.
To investigate the wide variability of ocular manifestations associated with congenital Zika syndrome (CZS) in Recife, Brazil.
This cross-sectional study included the evaluation of 303 infants with clinical suspicion of having CZS. Immunoglobulin M antibody capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the Zika virus (ZIKV) on the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) samples was assessed in 178 cases, 157 (88,2%) of which were positive and 21 (11,8%) negative. The children were examined by pediatric ophthalmologists who performed a comprehensive ophthalmological assessment at the Rehabilitation Center of the Altino Ventura Foundation in Recife, Brazil, from December 2015 up to november 2016 study
157 infants (mean age at the first exam 9,57 ± 1,23 months [range, 07 to 16 months]) with positive serology for ZIKV were included in the study, from which 72 were male (45,9%) and 85 were female (54,1%). The mean gestational age was 38,10 ± 2,19 weeks (range: 28,00 to 42,00) and the mean age at the day of the exam was 9,57 ± 1,23 months (range: 7,00 to 16,00 months). Ophthalmological findings included poor visual response to grating, strabismus, nystagmus, dysmorphology of the optic nerves and macula, congenital cataract and congenital glaucoma.
Most children with CZS demonstrated a constellation of ocular findings that included anomalies of the anterior and posterior segment of the eye. This is the study with the largest sample studied up to know according to ophthalmological findings.